Research shows that after-school activities can reinforce school learning objectives by introducing the same concepts in new, interactive ways.
High-quality after-school programs provide children with essential learning and enrichment experiences that they may not otherwise have, leading to:
- Positive effects on school attendance and behavior in class
- Improved performance in Math and English
- Positive personal and social well-being and adjustment
- Reduction in juvenile crime and recidivism
Research shows that every $1 invested in after-school programs saves at least $3 by:
- Increasing kids’ learning potential
- Improving kids’ performance at school
- Reducing crime and juvenile delinquency
What we envision
Envision with us a coordinated, citywide system of high-quality after-school programs that will enhance student well-being, expand enrichment opportunities, increase readiness for learning, and support working families.
The Community Foundation, along with our peer funders, the Robins Foundation and Altria, are working with the City of Richmond and Richmond Public Schools (RPS) to bolster after-school program offerings for RPS students.
Together, we aim to provide after-school programs for children in all RPS elementary and middle schools by 2020, providing over 4,000 students with greater opportunity to succeed.